Alibaba Group Holding Limited announced the 2020 11.11 Global Shopping Festival generated US$74.1 billion in gross merchandise volume (GMV) during the 11-day campaign from 1st November to 11th November, an increase of 26% compared to the same timeframe in 2019.
SEE ALSO : How did the first window of Alibaba’s 2020 11.11 Global Shopping Festival go?
“Over the past 12 years, innovation has been at the heart of 11.11 and along the way it became a global consumer festival. 11.11 is defined by our consumers, merchants and our partners across the ecosystem, and also a beneficiary of all the support from society,” said Jiang Fan, President of Taobao and Tmall.
“We will continue to focus on developing our digital infrastructure in the service of
empowering merchants of all sizes to find a path to success in the digital economy,” continued Jiang Fan.
Over 470 brands achieved more than US$15.1 million in GMV, showcasing the value creation of digital transformation across the Alibaba Digital Economy. The Alibaba digital infrastructure handled 583,000 orders per second during peak of activity, demonstrating the strength and scale of our underlying technology platform.
Cainiao Network processed more than 2.32 billion delivery orders cumulatively over the 11-day period. Livestreaming has become an indispensable marketing tool, with over 30 livestreaming channels featured on Taobao Live that each generated more than US$15.1 million in GMV.
Highlights from the 2020 11.11 Global Shopping Festival:
• 250,000 brands in total participated in 11.11 this year, of which 31,000 are overseas brands. Within these overseas brands, 2,600 participated in 11.11 for the first time.
• 357 emerging brands became top sellers in their respective subcategories. More than 1,800 emerging brands surpassed their GMV from 11.11 last year and, of these, 94 emerging brands enjoyed sales growth of over 1,000%.
• Under Alibaba’s Spring Thunder initiative, 1.2 million merchants and 300,000 factories focused on overseas trade from more than 2,000 industry clusters across China participated in 11.11.
• AI customer chatbot handled over 2.1 billion queries during the 11-day period.
SEE ALSO : Farfetch, Alibaba Group and Richemont partner to develop “Luxury New Retail”
• The United States was the top country selling to China by GMV. Other top-selling countries to China, in alphabetical order, include: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and UK.