Retail in Asia

In Markets

Tasaki opens duty-free store in Sanya, Hainan


Japanese ultra-premium jewellery brand Tasaki has taken its first steps into China travel retail with Hainan Tourism Investment Duty Free Co., by opening a new store at the Hainan Tourism Duty Free Shopping Complex in Sanya, Hainan.

SEE ALSO : Victoria’s Secret opens store in Sanya, Hainan

Tasaki joins a stellar line-up of top luxury brands that have recently opened doors at the Sanya store.

These include 13De Marzo, Mark M, Boy London, Joyrich, Li-Ning, Sensai, Ahava, Gellé Frères, Axxzia, Cellcosmet & Cellmen and Erno Laszlo, which all made their exclusive Hainan duty free debut with HTDF.

Pearls and diamonds are the two main precious materials for Tasaki, which in 1970 became the first jewellery house in the world to farm the brown-lipped pearl oyster. Tasaki, which has pearl farms in Japan and Myanmar, revived the oyster from near-extinction.

The jewellery house is also a De Beers sightholder [a selected group of exceptional diamantaires to whom De Beers supplies rough diamonds]. Tasaki is known for its distinctive diamond cutting and polishing heritage and craftsmanship. The brand only uses ethically and sustainably-sourced diamonds from The De Beers Group of Companies, one of the world’s leading diamond houses.

It is also the only jewellery house to offer Sakuragold, a pink-tinted precious metal that mimics the colour of human skin. Launched in 2011, Sakuragold was inspired by the colour of cherry blossoms. It retains the texture of 18k gold, while offering a deeper hue than rose gold.

As reported, Hainan Tourism Investment Duty Free (HTDF) opened the 95,000 sqm store last December with support from Lagardère Travel Retail. It also since partnered with Korean travel retailer The Shilla Duty Free.

SEE ALSO : Gucci Beauty opens store at the Hainan Tourism Duty Free Shopping Complex in Sanya

In a recent interview with The Moodie Davitt Report Founder & Chairman Martin Moodie, an HTDF senior spokesperson shared that the complex has attracted an impressive array of luxury, fashion and beauty brands.

He said, “After intense preparations before the opening and continuous efforts since, Hainan Tourism Duty Free Shopping Complex has successfully attracted more than 700 international and domestic brands, covering 45 offshore duty free categories.”

“Brand placement has been completed in 95 percent of the operating area and the remaining 5% is reserved for top luxury brands in accordance with high-end commercial investment practices,” he continued.